Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Last Boyfriend by J.S. Cooper

Lucky Morgan has had her share of heartbreak. She is devastated when her boyfriend dumps her after sleeping with him and she vows to herself that she won't be used again. She decides that the next guy she dates and sleeps with, will be her one true love.

Zane Beaumont is the mysterious and snooty guy that comes into her diner every Friday night with a different girl. He's the type of guy she's learned to avoid: carefree, fast, handsome, rich, and sarcastic. Unfortunately, she can't stop thinking about the devilish gleam in his eyes.

When Lucky's car breaks down one night after a party, it is Zane who comes to her rescue. As Zane attempts to sweep Lucky off of her feet, she soon realizes that nothing is as it seems and that Zane may very well be the guy for whom she changes the rules. That is until she meets Braydon.
Initial Thoughts:
I was looking for a light, quick read and this one had some good reviews. It also fit with my ridiculous romance novel streak I've got going on lately.

The Pros:
Lucky's "rules" that she instated were really smart. I wish I would have given myself some of those rules back in my early 20's.

I liked the scenes in the diner. Something about being a bystander watching someones life unfold intrigues me.

There was an element of suspense that I somewhat enjoyed throughout the book.

The Cons:
Ugh. Where to begin?

Zane is a crazy psycho stalker. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. It is NOT romantic when a guy controls and follows you and every move you make.

Needless to say, I did NOT find Zane swoon worthy. At all.

Oh you set some rules up so your heart didn't broken again, did you Lucky? Let's throw all of them out the window for the first guy you met! Sounds like a plan to me.

The Braydon/Angelique/party crowd was confusing. It took me a really long time to understand what the hell was going on.

The whole civil rights era documentary, while a cool idea, was totally out of place. It felt like it was just shoved in there to give the story some sort of substance.

The Wrap Up: 1/5
I didn't like this book very much. I only kept reading to see what was going to happen next in this train wreck of a book, so they got me there I guess. How is this a NYT Bestseller?

Buy The Last Boyfriend by J.S. Cooper on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment